Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status

If someone has been validly, legally admitted to the United States on some sort of visa or other non-permanent status, he or she may be eligible to “adjust” his or her status to the status of Legal Permanent Resident here in the United States, if a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident family member submits an application in favor of him or her.  This often happens for new immigrant husbands or wives.  

For example, if someone comes to the United States, say for business or tourism, and falls in love (!) and gets married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, the immigrant could then be “adjusted” to the status of Legal Permanent Resident, if his or her spouse petitions for him or her.  This could also be true, however, for a parent or a child who arrives on a visa, if they have a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident child or parent who may apply on their behalf.  Many times, immigrants come here to study at a college or university, then fall in love and get married, and wish to adjust status.  If you or someone you know may be eligible to “adjust” status to become a permanent resident, do not hesitate to call us today to discuss the case!  We love doing adjustment cases!

Lessons from the Past

Don’t write so that you can be understood, write so that you can’t be misunderstood.

William Howard Taft

Request a Consultation Today

Send us an email using the form below to request a consultation.

Please let us know when you're available to set up a consultation.